ABOUT JUDGE CRAIN
Judge Will Crain’s 33-year legal career affirms his reverence for the law.
He’s considered a thoughtful, fair-minded jurist who relentlessly upholds the rule of law. His disapproval of activist judges is evident, not only in his words and beliefs but in his actions as he has authored legal opinions sharply criticizing legislating from the bench.
As a trial court judge, he held participants to strict timelines, reviewed exhaustively every detail of each case before him, and cut a backlog of 325 cases by 80% in just two years. On the 12-member First Circuit Court of Appeal, which hears cases from 16 parishes, Judge Will Crain has published over 300 opinions. His cases are each carefully considered and drafted.
Judge Will Crain is a studious and conscientious jurist who sees the constitution as an enduring framework that governs liberty and justice for all. He is an unyielding advocate for judges interpreting law, not making law.
His impressive legal resumé before ever taking the bench, trial court and appellate court experience are the cornerstones for a prepared and qualified justice for our highest court.
On the Supreme Court, Judge Crain will continue to:
- Evaluate both sides of each case fairly and impartially
- Manage an efficient court docket and render decisions promptly
- Treat both sides in every case with courtesy and respect
- Apply the law equally to everyone and not attempt to legislate from the bench
Judge Crain is Endorsed by
- Graduate, Bogalusa High School (1979)
- Graduate, Louisiana State University (1983 – Accounting)
- Graduate, LSU Law Center (1986)
- Partner, Jones Fussell Law Firm
- Judge, Twenty-Second Judicial District Court (2009 – 2013)
- Judge, Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal (2013 – Present)
- Immediate Past President, Board of Governors Louisiana Judicial College
- Chair, Subcommittee on Court Funding appointed by the Louisiana Judicial Council
- Member, 2011 Louisiana Judicial Leadership Institute
- Parishioner, St. Timothy United Methodist Church
- Married to Cheri Hackett Crain (34 Years)
- Together they have four children: William (31), Michael (29), Matthew (29), and Elizabeth (20)